Saturday 17 December 2011

Paneer Spinach & Tomato

I have been asked by customers and on my travels for a perfect recipe for Saag Paneer, which for those who don’t know is an Indian style cottage cheese in a spicy spinach pureed sauce. And even though I like cooking a traditional style paneer saag, it got me thinking of how I would like to cook it in my very own style.
 
So over the weekend this is what I done………..  

Ingredients
 

750gms paneer cubes, fried until slightly brown throughout
400gm baby spinach leaves, washed
1 medium tomato, seeds removed, chopped
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne powder
1tsp ground coriander
1tsp ground white pepper
1tsp pomegranate powder
1 tbsp fresh garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
1tsp green chillies chopped
1 tbsp fresh lemon  juice
6 tbsp olive oil
Serves 2-4

 MARINADE
In a  fairly large wok heat up the olive oil on a medium to high heat, once hot add the garlic, ginger, chillies and sauté for one minute. Throw in the fried paneer cubes and stir fry for a further minute. Add the spinach, tomatoes, all dried spices and stir fry for five minutes, sprinkle in the lemon juice, one final stir and serve hot.