Sunday 10 July 2011

Baked Beans Indian Style

The day I was intrigued about Indian cooking, came in the late seventies, when my father introduced me to spiced up Heinz baked beans one of the most famous tinned meals ever produced! When my father arrived in the UK from India in the sixties it was very hard to get some of the spices and lentils used in Indian cooking, so he would experiment with what he had. He would heat some oil, add a teaspoon of cumin seeds, a sliced medium onion and a couple of fresh green chillies. Once the onions were caramelised the tin of baked beans would be added and hey presto! Nowadays I add a pinch of chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala to the beans and garnish with some fresh coriander, it goes well on toast or complemented with an omelet. As curry became more and more popular around the UK, even Heinz bought out a special Heinz Curry flavour. A true example of East meets West.

My Spiced Up Baked Beans